Sunday, October 30, 2016

Baking Notes

So these robust guys just popped out of my oven recently, aren't they handsome? That's semolina on the left and whole wheat on the right, both sourdough. I haven't been baking as much lately just because the overall consumption of food in our house has dropped precipitously since the last of my brood fledged the nest. What? I know! Empty nesters. I can't believe it either. What's a bake-happy mom to do with no youg'uns around? Thankfully there are social events and extended family close by who appreciate fresh baked whatnot such as bread and cookies.





Glazed lemon/ginger spelt shortbread cookies, just because. 


A note about sourdough: it's fickle. The last couple of loaves have been total duds, not even worth noting. Dense. Tasteless. Barely edible. And then all of a sudden I get two winners like these. I recently splurged on some good quality organic stone ground grains which I have a hunch made my sourdough colony a very happy colony indeed. They rewarded me with two splendid loaves of bread. Huzzah!

3 comments:

Connie said...

They look wonderful! I love the smell of fresh-baked bread.

Debbie Rodgers said...

Amazing loaves of bread!

Speaking from experience of an empty nest, they eventually fill up again with grandchildren. I'm sure they'll love your baking! :-)

Trish said...

Thanks!

Yes, the grandchildren. It will be so lovely. But right now I can only imagine, hope and dream :)