Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Reading Notes

Well I guess it was inevitable. Shelfari, whose website and bookshelf widgets were so fun to fill and post on my sidebar, are now gone. I was invited to move my reading list over to GoodReads, which I did, but -meh- it's just not as visually delightful as Shelfari was. I'm not impressed.

In other reading news, I am having a most enjoyable read of Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi." I always find it so interesting that authors from a hundred years ago can still resonate so well with readers today. His language and humor is wonderful. This is his own story written somewhat like a diary and filled with the hardscrabble characters he encountered in his time on the river. He has also included his own footnotes explaining some terms or situations regarding steamships and river navigation. He and authors like him truly bring history to life.

I've been baking again, too! I'm refining my sourdough spelt bread recipe/technique and will be posting pictures of my latest creations soon.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I've always been on Goodreads so I don't know what I was missing with Shelfari. Sorry.

Connie said...

I love Mark Twain's humor too. It is amazing how historical writing like that can still ring true and be relevant to us today.

Anonymous said...

It's not too late to try LibraryThing instead of GoodReads! LibraryThing has finally gotten an app, too, and it works great on my old phone (iPhone 4S).