Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown

Just reading this memoir was exhausting. Not only did Ms. Brown endure, from the age of eleven,  years of physical abuse, rape, gang life, homelessness, drug addiction, and alcoholism, but she recovered with her spirit and body intact. And as if that weren't a miracle enough she went on to earn a law degree in 2001 at The University of San Francisco.

'I chased recovery like I chased booze and drugs. I put everything I had into it. It was difficult because it took dedication and commitment - two traits I knew about, but didn't realize I had. It took dedication and commitment to learn to be a Gangsta. Before joining a gang I knew nothing about gangs; hell, I'd never even heard of them. Now, I'm an 'OG' [original gangsta]. Dedication and commitment are what it took to get money to find drugs, cop them (all the while dodging the police), and keep a decent supply of them. I did whatever it took to stay high. So I took that same energy and focused on recovery.' pg 404

She writes with such openness and courage. Her language switches from 'street' to frank english and back again, giving us her thoughts and emotions along the way as she tours us through her hellish youth. What an amazing woman. This is more than a recovery memoir; it's a survival memoir.

author's website

10 comments:

Sidne said...

yes, I felt the same. I enjoyed the novel. thank God for a good ending.

Kerry said...

Sounds intense. Thanks for sharing.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I read about half of this a few years back whilst staying with my sister. I felt really impressed with her survival after reading it.

Please join in my Wonderful Wednesday meme. I'd love to hear about the books you wished you had read :)

Trish said...

Not many books make me teary, but the end of this one I was reaching for the kleenex.

Jean said...

Wow, that sounds intense. Thanks for the recommendation; maybe I can find this.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

This is one that I've always picked up at the store, then put down - picked it up again on another visit, put it back down. Next time I will pick it up and carry it to the register...

Anonymous said...

Phew! Need a holiday after that one!
X nomad

Diddakoi67 said...

I read this book a few years ago,and its is in my top ten and I recommend it to everyone I come across,it helped me to a greater understanding of drug abuse I always despised drug addicts before reading this book.
My childhood was tough maybe not quite as tough but I had a lot of the same issues and it never even occurred to me to take a drink or try drugs but know I understand more how you can get drawn into it, and have more respect for people that do.

Trish said...

Reading her story puts a human face to the issue of addiction and gang life.

This would be an excellent book to hand out to at-risk youth.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great read, I may have to add it to my list.