Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

This author has been on my radar for ages for no other reason than he's classic, famous, old-timey, and I've never read him. Over the years, I've heard W. Somerset Maugham referenced in gushing terms by authors and readers alike for his story telling and characters and depiction of life in the early 20th Century. So now it's my turn to weigh in.

On all those accounts: check, check, and check. Although I didn't love the book, I did really, really like it; his voice was such that I was right there participating in the story. And I love that. Parasols anybody? Horse drawn carriages? Tea and crumpets? Lingering with friends in Parisian cafes discussing art and literature? Heh, so cool. I'm also interested in the themes of coming-of-age and 'finding one's self'. Philip, the main character, is on a quest to discover his life's purpose, meeting challenges and people along the way who help him gradually shape his priorities.

Okay. So far, so good.

But alas. His love life made me want to scream. It couldn't even really be considered 'love' it was more of an obsession of the stalking sort that would land him in jail today. I didn't understand why he was so smitten with this Mildred woman in the first place - she seemed to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Philip himself was 'repelled by the sight of her' and 'loathed and despised himself for loving her.' Wait. What? So when she snubs him again and again, what does he do? He doesn't cut his losses and move on in pursuit of someone who actually likes him, no. He follows her around town like a puppy in the hopes that she will take him back, which she does only when she wants money. He gives her money, natch, again and again, even when she's fooling around with his best friend. Ugh. What a spineless cretin you are, Philip. Get a grip. Lose the girl already and get on with your life. I really had a hard time with this particular angle to the story. His lack of maturity was already well established; I didn't need to be reminded ad nauseam. Because, really, this whole Mildred thing takes up way too much -probably a third- of the story. Enough. I get it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Philip comes to his senses and his tale ends well. He goes on to become a country doctor and marry, not Mildred, thank the stars, or I would have thrown the book out the window, but a sensible, stable, well adjusted, healthy woman, discovering that happiness is in the here and now surrounded by people whom you love and who love you back.

And that's what I was holding out for.

Any other Maugham recommendations? Sans the spineless episodes? I'd read more if they were like the good parts of this book.

No comments: