Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Hmm, creepy, yes, but also an interesting take on the duality of human nature. There is a lot of psychology going on in this story. Dr. Jekyll is a mild mannered physician by day who has taken to pondering the strange ways in which all people seem to posses opposing aspects to their personalities.

'I hazard the guess that man will ultimately be known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous an independent denizens.' pg79

He develops a tincture in his lab that effectively separates his small, underdeveloped evil side from his 'upright moral' side into an entirely independent being whom he names Mr. Hyde. At first he can pass between his different beings by drinking his formula. But it soon becomes evident that Mr. Hyde is enjoying his 'freedom' too much and it takes more and more formula to bring Dr. Jekyll back. Dr. Jekyll's struggle to keep his evil alter ego under control only serves to strengthen that side of his personality, until . . .

Another good, old timey, gothic read for late October!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just downloaded this to my knidle a couple of days ago. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review.

Trish said...

Great! I hope you enjoy the story too. I'm just discovering these old classics for the first time. I had no idea they were so rich and intense!