Sunday, November 6, 2016

Life Notes

From where I'm sitting, the rising sun is diffused through a gauzy layer of late autumn mist, the trees are mostly bare except for a few still lit with yellow leaves, and I'm trying for the life of me to understand why changing our clocks is even a thing. This whole practice of moving an hour hand ahead or back with the intent of 'saving time' is such a preposterous idea I can't believe it's had this kind of staying power, so much so that the duration of this absurdity was extended a few years ago. What on earth for, I have no idea. I'd like to see us leave the clocks alone and just enjoy the sunshine and daylight whenever and wherever it happens to be.

On another note, I've discovered (or rediscovered, I should say) the pleasantly cerebral website Brain Pickings as an  antidote to life's inanities. The site has been around a while so there is lots to explore, but I have included some links to get you started.

Bookpickings

Susan Sontag on Storytelling

Mary Oliver on Books

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I couldn't agree more! I wish we could just leave time alone.

Connie said...

Changing the clocks has always been a big mystery to me too.