Monday, February 23, 2015

Ghee

Word on the street is that clarified butter, also known as ghee, is better for cooking and better for your health than most processed oils or margarin. Luckily, it's easy to make, lasts forever a long time in a jar on the counter, and resists burning when used in the frying pan, all things I can attest from my own kitchen experience.

Start with half pound block of good quality unsalted butter melting in a sturdy pot on medium/low heat. I like to use a cast iron pot on my wood stove just because I adore the all around heat transfer of cast iron but really, any pot will do.
















It will melt, sputter and foam for a while. How long depends on the heat level and the quality of the butter. Inexpensive butter contains more water and impurities so it will take longer to render. Give it anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes with a close watch to see that it doesn't brown, although brown butter has a nutty flavour and is quite tasty too. My little pot here is on a wood stove in my kitchen, which has been burning everyday this winter on account of the beastly Ontario weather we've been having. But this all works perfectly well on the stovetop, too.









Once the sputtering calms down the foam starts taking on a crusty texture the liquid should be quite clear and ready to pour through a small sieve into a crock or heat proof glass jar.   The crust will stay behind in the sieve and should be thrown away. The ghee will cool down into a smooth solid that will be ready to spread or spoon into whatever you are cooking.







3 comments:

Connie said...

Very interesting. I've never heard how to do this before.

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

I have seen this used but I have never thought about making it...hmmm....

Trish said...

Give it a try - it's pretty easy to make.