Sunday, October 13, 2013


I am made for autumn. Summer and I have a fickle relationship, but everything about autumn is perfect to me. Wooly jumpers, Wellington boots, scarves, thin first, then thick, socks. The low slanting light, the crisp mornings, the chill in my fingers, those last warm sunny days before rain and the wind. Her moody hues and subdued palate punctuated every now and again by a brilliant orange, scarlet or copper goodbye. She is my true love.
~Alys Fowler, A Recipe for Rowan Jelly

8 comments:

Connie said...

I think I am made for spring, but I love the way this is written. I can see a case being made for fall too.

Nan said...

"she is my true love." And mine! These are really beautiful words. Thanks so much.

Trish said...

Daisy - spring would have to be a close second; I can certainly see the appeal ... but, really, autumn is for me the best of all seasons.

Nan - yes, mine too.

HeidiInHolland said...

I too am made for autumn! And I love watching Alys Fowler on British TV here so could hear her voice in this quote. Now thanks to you...I found she has a blog too that I had not known about.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Debbie Rodgers said...

What a gorgeous quote! It captures the voluptuousness of this wonderful season.

Trish said...

Heidi - I've only just now discovered her and from what I've read I'd like to get to know her better.

Debbie - Voluptuous is a great word!

BECKY said...

I am definitely made for autumn, too!

Trish said...

Yup. Same here :)