Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Light in August by William Faulkner

Oh brother. I am trying to appreciate this author's legendary artistry but I just don't get why he has to be so repetitive and obtuse. Different POVs abound and the characters' stories get retold from all the different perspectives. Some characters 'disappear' for a while and then return, meanwhile new characters are randomly introduced well into the story to take over the narrative. Wait. What? Who? Where did he come from? I'm confused. Although I welcome the challenge of difficult literature, this stylistic approach to writing a story seems deliberately obfuscating. Light in August might be a little more 'normal' than Sound and Fury, but it's still pretty weird.

I have As I Lay Dying and Sanctuary on my TBR shelf but whether or not I have the resolve to read them remains to be seen.



Light in August, a novel about hopeful perseverance in the face of mortality, features some of Faulkner's most memorable characters: guileless Lena Grove, in search of the father of her unborn child; Reverend Gail Hightower, who is plagued by visions of Confederate horsemen; and Joe Christmas, a desperate, enigmatic drifter consumed by his mixed ancestry. (back cover)

No comments: