Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney DNF

This had so much promise. Wilderness! Adventure! History! But alas. I'm not a fan of first person present tense - especially in fiction - and then, inexplicably, multiple third-person POVs in every other chapter. So, I read my customary fifty pages and then had to give it up. Switching tenses and POVs is just too jarring; it totally breaks up the flow of the story and I have no idea why authors feel that is a good way to write. Stick to one tense, please. Preferably third person for fiction, first person for memoirs, and past tense for both.

It seems to have gotten decent reviews, though. So the fact that I didn't like it could just be me and my fussy stylistic preferences.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I like it that you reviewed this anyway. We should do that more. Silence is not always enough.

Trish said...

Yes, I like record a few immediate thoughts about why a book didn't click with me. And I always appreciate others doing the same so that I'm forewarned before diving in. Books are so much more than just what's blurbed on the back cover; I want to know how a book is likely to make me feel.