Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Lame 'review' ahead . . .

What can I say? I just love these books. By 'these' I mean the two previous ones in this trilogy The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game both and now this third one The Prisoner of Heaven. the cool thing is they are so intertwined that you don't even really need to read them in order. This one, again, takes us to Barcelona in the 1950s centered on the bookstore of Sempere and Son with Daniel, his father and his wife Bea, his friend Fermin, and a whole host of other characters readers of his previous books will recognize including the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. I'm sorry I don't have any quotes for this one but I listened to it as an audiobook, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best thing to do, especially since my audiobook listening happens right after I wake up at 5:30am.  I don't have the level of detail retention needed for solving mysteries, murders and crimes, and without having actual pages to reread I'm afraid I missed out on some of the twists. It still makes for a very cool and atmospheric story, though. Just don't hold me to the finer details. I'd never make it as a detective, that's for sure.

No comments: