Monday, May 9, 2011

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Okay *phew* I finally finished this most fun mystery novel. It took me a fair bit longer than I thought because, well, the last half draaagged on and on and I was just  too busy with other stuff, so.

You gotta love those Victorians, though, with their way of saying things like, 'He answered in the negative,' instead of 'No.' And their view of women as being delicate, emotional creatures on the one hand, but formidable verbal opponents on the other. 'No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman.' pg142 Ha! That loquacity is just so charming, isn't it?

There was a great buildup of mystery and characters in the first half, followed by a Twist and a Reveal where I would have been perfectly happy for it to end. But, alas, twas not to be so. The concluding three hundred pages were all just a deconstruction of the preceding story - and IMHO just TMI.

Victorian Literature Challenge - check
Gothic Reading Challenge - check

5 comments:

Story said...

Trish, it appears that you have been a bit more dedicated to finishing this novel than I was at first. About a third of the way through the novel, I found myself really enjoying it! I am still anxious to read the second part;I plan to try to finish it in the next two days. Although I am not in the least disappointed in what I have read so far, I am very eager to start my next novel!

Tracy said...

I'm thinking of putting this one forward as one of my choices for the next round of bookclub.

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I really enjoyed this one and thought it was a bit creepy. The bad guy was great in a Victorian way, but I agree it was a bit waffly at the end. I've had Moonstone by the same author on my TBR for a while, it's supposed to be good.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Lol. Loved the review. Sometimes I use Victorian phrasing on my exams so I can meet the word minimum. Lol...I'm kidding. I wish I had thought of it though.

Sidne said...

I finished a book a few months ago that made me feel the same way. Phewwww! glad you were able to finish the novel. i also finished that one also but sad to say it just will not make it on my book shelf as a keeper.