Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Few pleasures, for the true reader, rival the pleasure of browsing unhurriedly among books: old books, new books, library books, other people's books, one's own books - it does not matter whose or where. Simply to be among books, glancing at one here, reading a page from one over there, enjoying them all as objects to be touched, looked at, even smelt, is a deep satisfaction. And often, very often, while browsing haphazardly, looking for nothing in particular, you pick up a volume that suddenly excites you, and you know that this one of all the others you must read. Those are great moments - and the books we come across like that are often the most memorable.
Aidan Chambers

5 comments:

Tracy said...

That's so very true - and I'm having to restrict my book browsing this year, or I'll never stick to my New Year's Resolution of not buying any new books until 1st January 2012. Because for me browsing = buying (unless I'm completely overwhelmed by choice, which does happen occasionally)

Lee said...

Nothing's better than when a special book finds you.

Trish said...

tracy - wow, that's brave! I've gone on book acquisition diets before, but never for a whole year. Although I probably should. I have enough books on my TBR shelf to keep me reading for quite a while.

lee - yes, I love that last part about 'a volume that suddenly excites you.'

Tracy said...

It's not easy - there are so many new books I want to read - but I am being good, and have resisted all temptations so far.

Trish said...

I can imagine it would be difficult. Good for you for sticking with it! When I go on a book diet I always have to remind myself that 'books are patient.' There's a quote about that somewhere.