Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bookstore Haul

I really should be Christmas shopping for other people, but there's this cool little bookstore right in the middle of town that one has to pass by to go anywhere. And when it's really cold outside, one can pop into this store to, you know, warm up. And, well, there were a few books there that just got the better of my curiosity, so . . .

Hey, does anyone really need an excuse to buy books?

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - This book seems to be on a lot of people's favorites list and I've been dithering over reading it for well nigh a year. Now it's time.

Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry - This book was in the news a few months ago because it was banned and burned at the University of Mumbai. Oooh, a controversy! Well, I *have* to read it now. Mr. Mistry defends his book here.

Kiss the Sunset Pig by Lauire Gough - travelogue, woman writer, 'nuff said.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - been on my tbr list fo-evah. I now, finally, have my very own copy to read in the new year.

The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction by Henry James - further to my desire to bone up on some classics. 

Emma by Jane Austen - ditto

These all somehow found their way into my possession this week. Funny, that.

4 comments:

oreneta said...

JEALOUS!

I'm about ready for a good bookstore haul...under the excuse of buying for my nearest and dearest, who still, at this point, don't have any presents!!!

a quiet life said...

when its cold outside i stay home... and order books from amazon. i went a little nutz and ordered 18... i told myself no new books next year, i have to read what i already have at home. so i am quickly adding to home...

i have kiss the sunset pig on my tbr list too~

Trish said...

oreneta - bookstores are great places to shop for gifts . . . for our nearest and dearest, of course ;)

food for thought - I have a 'no-rules' approach to book acquisition so as to leave room for spontaneity.

18 books is a pretty decent haul!

Kerry said...

I'm hoping to focus more on classics, too. This looks like a good haul to me. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Help!