Thursday, March 25, 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger


Again with the twins and the ghosts.

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger started out as a pretty cool story with the ghost of a newly deceased London woman following her boyfriend around his apartment trying to find ways to get his attention. She is able to slip under doors and float about but has to build up enough 'ghosty' strength to actually move anything that he can see like a pencil or curtains. Then there are her 21 year-old American twin nieces who have inherited her apartment and come to live there for a year as per her will. Okay, cool. But then . . . oh heavens, where to begin? It gets weird and really unbelievable with an unlikely romance and a ghosty romance and a ghosty kitten and a suicide and a spirit/body switch and the thing is . . . I am all for quirky stories but I have an allergy to romances and hokey-ness and this, in my opinion, crossed that line.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It was no Time Traveler's Wife - that's for sure!
I have trouble with books where there is no character I can relate to or sympathize with. This was one of those books.

Trish said...

I was a little skeptical going into this book because I didn't think I could handle another ghost story. But then it started out so well I was encouraged to read on . . . until that silly Kitten of Death episode. It all kind of went south after that.

Ironically I'm now reading a book called 'Ghosting' not about ghosts but ghostwriting. And this one is a memoir to boot! I'm very excited.